According to Global Trends in their GT Briefing December 2012: Trends to watch in 2013, they mention BitCoin as an alternative to cash under “Who needs Banks anyway?” section of their report. This along with Mobile-wallets and Crowdfunding, are definitely things to keep close tabs on as I suspect they will gain significant traction to in 2013.
The Global Trends to watch in 2013 are:
- Social everything: New generations and their digital world stepping forward
- Redefining value: The consumer is winning the fight to own the new consumer
- Distributed everything: Mobility in production and consumption
- The next “industrial” revolution: Robots and smart machines reshaping work
- The new space race: Pushing the frontiers of technology once again?
- Geopolitical wars: The fight to control the future
- Resource wars escalating: From a world of abundance to shortage
- Business stepping up: From profit to purpose
- Information is power: The security challenge
- Who needs banks anyway? Reshaping the financial system
Extracted from Global Trends http://www.globaltrends.com/monthly-briefings/176-gt-briefing-december-2012-10-key-trends-to-watch-in-2013 Related presentation materials can be downloaded in PDF for further reading at http://www.globaltrends.com/images/stories/GT2013/Global%20Trends_Ten%20Key%20Trends%20to%20Watch%20for%202013.pdf